vamom7678

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

A Ladies Luncheon......flash back to the 70's


I went to a Christmas luncheon and ornament exchange today with the Naval Officers Spouse Club. What a nice group of women. I'm one of the younger ones there. One of the girls was a former Navy Nurse, so we had lots in common. The majority were in their early 60's. It was probably one of the nicest groups I have ever been with. No uppity people, just funny and real. I really haven't had the time , up till now, to do things with a Navy group.

It took 3 of us to open a bottle of wine, it was a weird cork screw, I opened it after futzing with it for about 15 minutes, but there were 3 of us working on it, a nurse, an educator and a double engineering major.....what a hoot!

The lunch was a hot chicken casserole with chow mien noodles on top,( a recipe I know I got in the 70's) a cranberry relish mold, that everyone was crazy about and pumpkin bread. It was delish!!! Coffee and cookies were the dessert. The setting was also beautiful. But just so different from some of the things I've been to where all the silver and crystal is out.

The ornament exchange was the cut throat kind where you get to steal one that you see if you like it, I had one I liked and someone took it, but that was ok...I don't need another ornament. The one I took to exchange was popular and got taken a few times.....

They have several things planned for this month and one is a White House tour. I'm going to try and make that if I can.

One thing that makes this group so different than any other that I belong to or associate with is that at some point in our lives we lived the same way. Our spouses were in the Navy and were gone for periods of time, and we were not able to get in touch with them easily. No computers, emails, cell phones. Just snail mail, or the occasional phone call, patched from the ship.

All in all a nice day and makes me want to decorate the house...tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home